15 February 2020
As Storm Dennis continues to impact Scotland, the Scottish Environment Protection Agency (SEPA) has issued Severe Flood Warnings for the Scottish Borders.
SEPA's Flood Duty Manager, Mark McLaughlin, said:
"Severe Flood Warnings for areas in the Scottish Borders have been issued tonight as we continue to see rivers respond to the impacts of Storm Dennis. These warnings mean that extensive flooding is expected to properties and businesses with many roads impassable. Some evacuations have been advised.
The Severe Flood Warnings have been issued for Teviot and Slitrig at Hawick and Newcastleton. We advise people to stay away from flood water and to not take unnecessary risks. Sandbags are available from local authority staff responding on site in the Hawick Teviot and Hawick Slitrig areas and are available from the rest centre at the community centre in Newscastleton.
If you are affected or concerned about flooding please contact the emergency services."
Follow advice from Floodline on what to during a flood:
- Check Floodline, visit sepa.org.uk/floodupdates for the full update.
- Charge your mobile phone.
- Move important documents and valuable items to a higher place.
- Shut off gas, electricity and water supplies and fit any flood protection products to your property.
- Check on vulnerable and elderly neighbours.
- Move pets and animals to a safe place and ensure they have enough food and water.