Persistent heavy rainfall causing disruption in Scottish Borders
Heavy rainfall has been continuing to have major impacts on areas in the Scottish Borders, particularly around Hawick, where a major incident has been declared and in Dumfries and Galloway.
SEPA's Flood Duty Manager, Pascal Lardet, said:
"Heavy rainfall today has affected Hawick in the Scottish Borders and parts of Dumfries and Galloway. Rivers are still responding to the rainfall, and extensive flooding has affected the transport network and a number of isolated communities. Some evacuations in Hawick have been advised this afternoon based on our forecast at that time, while there have been reports of people trapped in cars and schools letting children away early in Dumfries and Galloway.
“We advise people to stay away from flood water and to not take unnecessary risks, including making unnecessary trips, and to follow the advice of emergency services in flooded areas.
“If you are affected or concerned about flooding please contact the emergency services."
Follow advice from Floodline on what to during a flood:
- Check Floodline, visit sepa.org.uk/floodupdates for the full update.
- Charge your mobile phone.
- Move important documents and valuable items to a higher place.
- Shut off gas, electricity and water supplies and fit any flood protection products to your property.
- Check on vulnerable and elderly neighbours.
- Move pets and animals to a safe place and ensure they have enough food and water.